The flavors are great together, but there's too much salt--and I didn't add any to the rice. I'd cut the black bean sauce and the cornstarch in half, too. I wound up needing to add about a 1/2 cup chicken broth just to make the sauce a bit more liquid, as it practically solidified the minute it hit the wok! Dried shiitakes are quite expensive, and I think other dried mushrooms might do just as well. It also needs a bit of red pepper for some zip.
Seitan Stir-Fry with Black Bean Garlic Sauce
Look for seitan—also called wheat gluten—in Asian markets or the refrigerated sections of health food or specialty stores. Black bean garlic sauce is sold in the international section of some supermarkets and at Asian markets.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 474
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 35.5g
- Carbohydrate: 60.7g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 5.3mg
- Sodium: 818mg
- Calcium: 57mg
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or sake
- 2 tablespoons black bean garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced drained seitan (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cups (2-inch) cut green beans (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- 1. Combine 2 cups boiling water and mushrooms in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup soaking liquid. Rinse mushrooms; drain well. Discard mushroom stems; thinly slice mushroom caps.
- 2. Combine reserved liquid, rice wine, black bean sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir with a whisk, and set mixture aside.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add seitan to pan, and stir-fry 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Place seitan in a medium bowl. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger to pan; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and beans; cover and cook 3 minutes. Add black bean sauce mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until sauce slightly thickens. Add seitan to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Combine rice and salt; serve seitan mixture over rice. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes