- 2 cups Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 8 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 4 sockeye or coho salmon fillets (each 5 to 6 oz., 1/2 to 1 in. thick), with skin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 quarts (3 oz.) lightly packed baby arugula
- Baby radishes, butter, and crusty bread
- calories 336
- caloriesfromfat 53 %
- protein 32 g
- fat 20 g
- satfat 3.2 g
- carbohydrate 5.6 g
- fiber 0.6 g
- sodium 810 mg
- cholesterol 101 mg
How to Make It
Heat vinegar, sugar, salt, and seasonings in a saucepan to boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; pour into an 8-in. square glass or ceramic baking dish. Let cool.
Sprinkle fish with pepper. Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. oil, then add fish and cook, turning once, until barely cooked through, 3 to 6 minutes. Pull off skin and discard.
Transfer fish to pickling mixture, cover, and chill 2 hours; turn fish after 1 hour.
Toss arugula with remaining 1 tbsp. oil and 2 tsp. pickling mixture in a large bowl. Arrange on plates. Using a slotted spoon, arrange fish next to salad. Serve with radishes, butter, and bread.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.