I've been making this turkey for a few years now. My husband won't let me make it any other way LOL! He says this is the BEST turkey ever; even better than his mom's! It is really good. Because of the water in the pan and covering it with foil it stays pretty moist. And with all the spices it's very flavorful. I love the ease more than anything; you don't have to constantly baste it, etc.
Seasoned Roast Turkey
This gorgeous turkey is seasoned with nine spices for flavor impact. Note that it also releases lots of delectable drippings for some dynamite gravy.
Yield: 12 to 14 servings
- 1 (12- to 14-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup water
- Garnishes: kumquats, fresh sage, fresh rosemary
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for making Giblet Gravy, if desired. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Place turkey, breast side up, in a greased broiler pan. Combine salt and next 8 ingredients. Using fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey at neck area, working down to breast and thigh area. Rub about one-third of seasonings under skin. Rub skin with softened butter; rub with remaining seasonings. Tie legs together with heavy string, or tuck under flap of skin. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey.
- Add water to pan. Cover turkey with aluminum foil. Bake at 325° for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 180°, uncovering turkey after 2 hours. Transfer turkey to a serving platter, reserving pan drippings for gravy. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving. Garnish, if desired.
- Tip: If you buy a frozen bird, remember to allow about 3 days for a 12- to 14-pound turkey to thaw in the refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes