- 1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans
- 3/4 pound hog jowl, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular rice, uncooked
- Hot sauce (optional)
How to Make It
Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans; let soak overnight. Drain well.
Combine beans, hog jowl, onion, celery, green pepper, salt, and water to cover in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 2 1/2 hours.
Drain cooking liquid from beans. Measure 2 cups cooking liquid; add back to beans. Discard remaining cooking liquid. (Water may be added to cooking liquid to equal 2 cups liquid, if needed.) Add rice, and stir well. Cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.