Seasoned Basmati Rice
Spices are tied in a bouquet garni so they're easy to remove after cooking. And the cheesecloth-wrapped bouquets, bundled in food-safe cellophane, are also good stocking stuffers on their own. Include these directions with each package of rice: Bring 3 cups water to a boil; add bouquet garni and 1 1/2 cups rice mixture, and cook 18 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender. Discard bouquet garni; stir 1/2 teaspoon salt into rice mixture.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 118
- Calories from fat: 3%
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 25.3g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 150mg
- Calcium: 9mg
- Bouquet garni:
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pods, toasted
- 16 whole cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks, halved
- Remaining ingredients:
- 4 cups uncooked basmati rice, divided
- 1 cup lentils, divided
- 1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger, divided
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and divided
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, divided
- To prepare bouquet garni, combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Divide mixture evenly among 4 packages of a double layer of (4-inch-square) cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; tie securely with kitchen twine.
- Place 1 bouquet garni, 1 cup rice, 1/4 cup lentils, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper in each of 4 containers. Seal tightly.
- Note: Nutritional analysis includes 1/2 teaspoon salt added for cooking.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This