- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 3-inch strip of lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tuna steaks, 1 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, mirin, shallot, jalapeño, orange juice, lemon zest and juice, sugar and coriander. Simmer over moderate heat until reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Strain the sauce.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Season the tuna with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat for 1 minute per side. Transfer the tuna to a platter and let rest for 1 minute; thickly slice and serve with the sauce.