Not bad. Quick, cheap, and tasty. Makes 3 good single servings, and with a simple side makes four good servings.
Seared Tofu with Gingered Vegetables
Drain the tofu while you cook the rice and prep the vegetables. This step ensures the tofu will brown nicely when it cooks. Radish sprouts add a fresh, peppery crunch. You can substitute broccoli sprouts or omit them altogether.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 325
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Protein: 28.2g
- Carbohydrate: 41.6g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 7.6mg
- Sodium: 603mg
- Calcium: 96mg
- 1 pound reduced-fat extrafirm tofu
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 cup radish sprouts
- Place tofu on several layers of paper towels; let stand 10 minutes. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to rice; fluff with a fork.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and bell pepper to pan; sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup onions, vinegar, and soy sauce; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from pan. Wipe skillet with paper towels; recoat pan with cooking spray.
- Place pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle tofu with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add tofu to pan; cook 8 minutes or until golden, turning to brown on all sides. Return bell pepper mixture to pan, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Drizzle tofu mixture with remaining 1 teaspoon oil; top with sesame seeds. Serve tofu mixture with rice; top with sprouts and remaining 1/4 cup onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This