I love this recipe; it doesn't even need to be served with greens. The sauce works very well with the scallops alone. Yes, the port and figs can overwhelm the delicate flavor of the scallops, but this happens largely when the scallops aren't seared well enough to be assertive in their own right.
Seared Scallops with Port-Poached Figs and Apple Salad
This salad contrasts temperatures and flavors--the warm scallops rest atop cool greens, and the combination of tart apples and vinegar is tamed with the sweetness of figs and port.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 424
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 21.6g
- Carbohydrate: 61.3g
- Fiber: 7.9g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 493mg
- Calcium: 128mg
- 1 cup dried figs
- 1 cup port or other sweet red wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 4 cups gourmet salad greens
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Trim stems from figs. Combine figs and next 4 ingredients (figs through orange juice) in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Remove figs with a slotted spoon, reserving cooking liquid. Cool figs slightly, and cut in half lengthwise. Combine figs and apple in a bowl. Combine cooking liquid and 1 teaspoon oil, stirring well with a whisk. Pour over apple mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over scallops. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook 2 minutes on each side or until scallops are done.
- Place 1 cup of greens on each of 4 plates. Divide apple mixture and scallops evenly among salads; sprinkle with chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes