I followed the recipe but did not like the result. Perhaps the sauce would work for shrimp or fish, but I just did not like it with the scallops. I enjoy the sweetness of a good scallop, and this sauce was not a good accompaniment. I will not make this again.
Seared Scallops with Citrus Ginger Sauce
The key to getting a good brown crust is to pat the scallops dry before cooking, sear them in a very hot cast-iron skillet, and, while they cook, only move them to turn them over. Serve over rice noodles.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 296
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 41.9g
- Carbohydrate: 16.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 885mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 2 teaspoons roasted sesame oil, divided
- 4 (1-inch) diagonally cut green onions
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 1/2 pounds medium sea scallops
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a large cast-iron or heavy skillet over high heat. Add onions; sauté 1 minute or until wilted. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil and peanut oil to pan. Pat scallops dry with paper towels; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add scallops to pan; cook 2 minutes or until golden brown. Turn scallops; reduce heat to medium, and cook 1 minute or until scallops are done. Remove scallops from pan; keep warm.
- Add orange juice, mirin, lemon juice, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Combine 1 teaspoon water and cornstarch; stir into sauce. Cook 30 seconds or until sauce begins to thicken. Add scallops to pan; toss to coat. Top with onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes