Seared Scallops with Pink Grapefruit-Brown Butter Sauce
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Linda Hirst
- 1 large pink grapefruit
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 12 to 16 ounces large sea scallops (about 10)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1. Peel grapefruit, and cut into sections with a knife. Squeeze rind and remaining pulp to yield 1/4 cup juice.
- 2. Cook butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until it turns a golden color and smells nutty. Stir in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually stir in grapefruit juice. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in grapefruit segments and 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and black pepper. Pour into a bowl; cover and keep warm.
- 3. Sprinkle scallops with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and black pepper. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add scallops, and sear 3 minutes on each side or until scallops are browned.
- 4. Drizzle scallops with grapefruit sauce; sprinkle with chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This