Excellent gourmet salad. I didn't have the apple cider so juiced an apple. Skipped the bacon as we are trying to eat less animal protein, but imagine it would have added wonderful flavor.
Seared Scallops over Bacon and Spinach Salad with Cider Vinaigrette
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 298
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 32.1g
- Carbohydrate: 26.7g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 921mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced Granny Smith apple (about 1)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 20 sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1. Combine cider and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 9 minutes). Remove from heat.
- 2. Cook bacon in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan; set bacon aside. Add chopped shallots to drippings in pan; sauté 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; stir in cider mixture, cider vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
- 3. Crumble reserved bacon. Combine bacon, Granny Smith apple, onion, and spinach in a large bowl.
- 4. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, curry powder, and red pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle salt mixture evenly over both sides of scallops. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- 5. Drizzle cider mixture over spinach mixture; toss gently to coat. Place about 2 1/2 cups salad mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 5 scallops.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This