- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced Granny Smith apple (about 1)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 20 sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- calories 298
- caloriesfromfat 21 %
- fat 7 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- monofat 3.3 g
- polyfat 1.1 g
- protein 32.1 g
- carbohydrate 26.7 g
- fiber 3.3 g
- cholesterol 63 mg
- iron 2.2 mg
- sodium 921 mg
- calcium 81 mg
How to Make It
Combine cider and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 9 minutes). Remove from heat.
Cook bacon in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan; set bacon aside. Add chopped shallots to drippings in pan; sauté 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; stir in cider mixture, cider vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
Crumble reserved bacon. Combine bacon, Granny Smith apple, onion, and spinach in a large bowl.
Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, curry powder, and red pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle salt mixture evenly over both sides of scallops. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done.
Drizzle cider mixture over spinach mixture; toss gently to coat. Place about 2 1/2 cups salad mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 5 scallops.