My scallops and beurre blanc sauce were amazing! Cooked this for some friends and they were very impressed! The veggies did not get as roasty-brown as I was expecting, and they required a bit extra cooking time (maybe 10 extra minutes). Because the veggies needed extra time, the scallops were waiting for a while - so be careful for that. But, everything was still delicious!
Seared Scallops with Summer Vegetables and Beurre Blanc
Principles 18 & 20: A screaming-hot skillet and baking sheet yield fantastic seared scallops and quick-roasted veggies. The luxurious sauce is little more than butter emulsified into reduced white wine--keep the butter cold and whisk it in gradually for the creamiest sauce.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 345
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 31.1g
- Carbohydrate: 14.9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 660mg
- Calcium: 85mg
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- 1/4 cup small basil leaves
- 1. Place a jelly-roll pan in oven. Preheat oven to 500° (leave pan in oven as it preheats).
- 2. Combine wine and shallots in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Strain through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Return mixture to pan. Gradually add butter, stirring with a whisk until smooth and emulsified. Stir in rind and 1/8 teaspoon salt; keep warm.
- 3. Cut zucchini and yellow squash in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 3 pieces; cut each piece lengthwise into 4 strips. Combine zucchini, squash, bell pepper, onion, and 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Arrange vegetable mixture carefully onto preheated jelly-roll pan. Bake at 500° for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic; toss gently. Bake at 500° for 4 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Remove from oven; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- 4. While vegetables cook, heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Pat scallops dry with paper towels; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add scallops to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until scallops are seared and desired degree of doneness. Serve scallops with vegetable mixture and sauce; garnish with basil leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note