I love scallops but for me the stars of this dish were the veggies and beurre blac! Delicious, delicate, and so easy! I did have trouble with the cook time for the veggies but otherwise cooked as directed. Caution: watch out you don't have too much oil in your pan or the pan isn't hot enough, otherwise the scallops won't sear properly.
Seared Scallops with Summer Vegetables and Beurre Blanc
Principles 18 & 20: A screaming-hot skillet and baking sheet yield fantastic seared scallops and quick-roasted veggies. The luxurious sauce is little more than butter emulsified into reduced white wine--keep the butter cold and whisk it in gradually for the creamiest sauce.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 345
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 31.1g
- Carbohydrate: 14.9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 660mg
- Calcium: 85mg
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- 1/4 cup small basil leaves
- 1. Place a jelly-roll pan in oven. Preheat oven to 500° (leave pan in oven as it preheats).
- 2. Combine wine and shallots in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Strain through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Return mixture to pan. Gradually add butter, stirring with a whisk until smooth and emulsified. Stir in rind and 1/8 teaspoon salt; keep warm.
- 3. Cut zucchini and yellow squash in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 3 pieces; cut each piece lengthwise into 4 strips. Combine zucchini, squash, bell pepper, onion, and 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Arrange vegetable mixture carefully onto preheated jelly-roll pan. Bake at 500° for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic; toss gently. Bake at 500° for 4 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Remove from oven; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- 4. While vegetables cook, heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Pat scallops dry with paper towels; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add scallops to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until scallops are seared and desired degree of doneness. Serve scallops with vegetable mixture and sauce; garnish with basil leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note