Seared Scallop Tacos with Jicama-Peanut Slaw
"Tacos: Cookbook author thinks outside the tortilla for variety of recipes." by Michael Hastings. Recipe adapted from "Just Tacos" by Shelley Wiseman, former Gourmet food editor, senior editor for Fine Cooking magazine, and co-author of "The Mexican Gourmet" with Maria Dolores Torres Yzabal. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: January 4, 2012.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) diced jicama
- 2 large clementines or 1 navel orange, peeled, white pith removed, and diced (1 cup), plus half of the juice
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped chicarron (fried pork skin), optional
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped cocktail peanuts
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped cilantro
- 1 habanero chili, minced (seeds removed if desired to reduce heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt sa
- 1 pound(s) sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable or olive oil
- Warm corn or flour tortillas
- 1. For the slaw, stir together the jicama, diced orange, juice, onion, chicarron if using, peanuts, cilantro, habanero and salt.
- 2. Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. While pan is heating, remove ligaments from scallops, pat scallops dry with paper towel and season with salt.
- 3. Add oil to hot skillet and swirl to coat the bottom. Immediately add the scallops, one by one so they aren’t touching one another. Cook without moving until the undersides are browned, about 3 minutes. (When scallops are ready, they will move when you shake the pan because their browned crust will release from the bottom of the pan.) Turn the scallops over and cook until just cooked through, about 2 minute more.
- 4. Cut the scallops into ½-inch pieces. Make tacos with the scallops, slaw and warm tortillas.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note