Seared Saffron Scallops
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 245
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 29.9g
- Carbohydrate: 13.1g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 768mg
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Calcium: 74mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops (about 30 scallops)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dash of saffron
- Heat a medium saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; add vegetable oil. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add tomato; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in wine and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in oregano, basil, and balsamic vinegar. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Place mixture in a blender; process until smooth, scraping sides. Return mixture to pan. Stir in half-and-half. Cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil and saffron; stir with a whisk.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; add 1 1/2 teaspoons saffron oil. Add 1/2 of scallops; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove scallops from pan; set aside and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining saffron oil and scallops.
- Spoon 1/3 cup sauce on individual plates. Arrange scallops over sauce on each plate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note