- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops (about 30 scallops)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dash of saffron
- calories 245
- fat 7.6 g
- satfat 0.8 g
- protein 29.9 g
- carbohydrate 13.1 g
- cholesterol 56 mg
- iron 1.2 mg
- sodium 768 mg
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fiber 1.6 g
- calcium 74 mg
How to Make It
Heat a medium saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; add vegetable oil. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add tomato; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in wine and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in oregano, basil, and balsamic vinegar. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Place mixture in a blender; process until smooth, scraping sides. Return mixture to pan. Stir in half-and-half. Cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with salt and black pepper.
Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil and saffron; stir with a whisk.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; add 1 1/2 teaspoons saffron oil. Add 1/2 of scallops; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove scallops from pan; set aside and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining saffron oil and scallops.
Spoon 1/3 cup sauce on individual plates. Arrange scallops over sauce on each plate.