This review is for the Caesar dressing. I was looking for a dressing recipe that didn't involve anchovies (son is a vegetarian), and this is really tasty.
Seared Romaine Spears with Caesar Dressing
Photo: © Matthew Hranek
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise
- 10 slices crusty peasant bread
- 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- Light a grill. In a blender or mini food processor, blend the mayonnaise with the vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. With the machine on, gradually add 1/2 cup of the vegetable oil until the Caesar dressing is creamy. Season with salt and pepper, cover and refrigerate.
- Lightly brush the hearts of romaine with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once or twice, until lightly charred but still crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Lightly brush the bread with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Grill, turning once, until toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Spread half of the Caesar dressing on a large platter. Arrange the grilled hearts of romaine on top and brush with the remaining dressing. Garnish with the cheese shavings and serve the grilled bread alongside.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This