These were delicious. I'll admit, I kicked up the heat a little, adding some chipotle chilis in adobo sauce to the bean mash. I also put the assembled sandwiches minus the top of the roll back in the broiler to melt the cheese and warm up the toppings. Perfect, easy, filling meal...adding it to the rotation.
Seared Pork Tortas
Torta is Spanish for "sandwich"—and is usually a hefty stack of meat, beans, and veggies. Our lightened version packs pork, beans, and veggies between fresh baguette slices for a super sandwich that can feed the whole family.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 441
- Fat: 15.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 46.9g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 806mg
- Calcium: 147mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 (2-ounce) boneless center-cut pork loin chops (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 (12-ounce) baguette, cut in half horizontally
- 1/2 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated fresh salsa
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 ripe peeled avocado, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine cumin and salt; sprinkle evenly over pork. Add pork to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Let stand 5 minutes; cut into thin slices.
- 3. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 3/4-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Place bread halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Place beans and salsa in a small bowl; mash with a fork until almost smooth. Spoon bean mixture into the bottom half of baguette. Top with pork, cheese, onion, tomato, jalapeño, avocado, and top half of baguette. Cut into 4 pieces.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches