This is one of our go-to appetizers. It is quick and easy to put together and tastes great. You have to make sure that you get very good roast beef.
Seared Beef Tenderloin Mini Sandwiches with Mustard-Horseradish Sauce
We received the recipe for these great-tasting appetizers from Susan Wambui Thiong'o in Nairobi, Kenya, in 2004. You can substitute peppery arugula for the watercress, if you prefer.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 open-faced sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 136
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 314mg
- Calcium: 94mg
- 2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups trimmed watercress (about 1 bunch)
- 1 (8-ounce) French bread baguette, cut diagonally into 16 slices
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- Combine first 4 ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Cover and chill.
- Secure beef at 2-inch intervals with twine. Sprinkle beef with pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; cook 15 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning frequently. Let stand 15 minutes. Cut into 16 slices. Sprinkle with juice.
- Arrange watercress evenly on bread slices. Place 1 beef slice and about 1 tablespoon chilled sauce over each bread slice. Arrange capers and cheese evenly over sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers