- 3 pounds medium shrimp with heads
- 2 dozen steamed blue crabs
- 5 quarts water
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Remove shrimp heads and shells, reserving both. Set peeled shrimp aside in refrigerator for use in another recipe. Hold 1 steamed crab with both hands, and insert a thumb under the shell by the apron hinge; remove top shell, and set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining crabs. Set aside crabmeat in refrigerator for use in another recipe.
- Combine shrimp heads and shells, crab top shells, water, carrot, onion, celery, and salt in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Strain stock through several layers of damp cheesecloth, discarding solids. Use Seafood Stock as a foundation for gumbos and stews.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments