I used 6 oz of swordfish, 1/2 lb shrimp, 1/2 lb scallops, some sliced calamari & a handful of mussels. The end result was delicious, but it took a lot longer to cook and needed a lot more hot liquid than called for. Not sure if it was because I was using actual paella rice from Spain, but I kept having to add hot liquid and it took a lot longer than expected. It also needed salt. I would make it again, but not before trying another recipe.
Seafood paellas should be made with a variety of fish and shellfish, each adding its own flavor and texture. Always include jumbo shrimp, mussels or clams, and a firm white fish such as monkfish, halibut, or sea bass. Seafood paellas are often served with a cold, fresh, dry fino sherry; however, a zesty, dry California Sauvignon Blanc works well, too.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 445
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 24.6g
- Carbohydrate: 72.1g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Iron: 7.6mg
- Sodium: 273mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- Herb Blend:
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound monkfish or other firm white fish fillets
- 16 unpeeled jumbo shrimp (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 16 littleneck clams
- 1 (7-ounce) jar sliced pimento, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- To prepare broth, combine the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- To prepare herb blend, combine parsley and next 4 ingredients (parsley through 2 garlic cloves); set aside.
- To prepare paella, trim connective tissue from monkfish; cut into 1-inch pieces. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large paella pan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and shrimp; saute 1 minute (the seafood mixture will not be cooked through).
- Remove seafood mixture from pan, and keep warm. Add onion and bell pepper to pan, and saute 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, paprika, crushed red pepper, and 3 garlic cloves; cook 5 minutes. Add rice, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, herb blend, and peas. Bring to a low boil, and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add clams to pan, nestling them into rice mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until shells open; discard any unopened shells. Stir in the seafood mixture, and arrange shrimp, heads down, in rice mixture. Arrange pimento slices spokelike on top of rice mixture; cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Remove from heat; cover with a towel and let stand 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note