- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed (optional)
- 3 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound grouper or other white fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound cleaned skinless squid, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked short-grain rice (such as Calasparra or Arborio)
- 1 pound small mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- calories 179
- caloriesfromfat 32 %
- fat 6.3 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- monofat 3.9 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 15 g
- carbohydrate 15 g
- fiber 1.3 g
- cholesterol 97 mg
- iron 2.1 mg
- sodium 322 mg
- calcium 44 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Bring first 3 ingredients to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
Peel the shrimp, leaving tails intact. Combine shrimp, grouper, and squid in a bowl; sprinkle with salt, let stand 5 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 13-inch paella pan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish mixture, and saute for 1 minute (the mixture will not be completely done). Remove fish mixture and any liquid from pan, and place in a bowl.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onion, garlic, and paprika; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in tomato; cook 2 minutes. Stir in rice, and coat well. Add clam juice mixture; bring to a boil, and cook 3 minutes. Add reserved fish; cook 2 minutes. Add mussels to pan, nestling them into rice mixture.
Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until shells open; discard any unopened shells. Remove from oven; cover and let stand 10 minutes.