- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts water
- 2 pounds okra, cleaned and sliced
- 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound lump or flake crab meat, drained
- 1 pound red snapper fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (12-ounce) container Standard oysters, drained
- Hot cooked rice
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large stock pot over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until roux is the color of a copper penny. Add water, okra, tomatoes, onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and Creole seasoning; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
Add remaining ingredients, except rice, and simmer, uncovered, an additional 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Serve gumbo over hot cooked rice in individual bowls.