- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 to 8 ounces chorizo sausage or other firm smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 18 small clams in shells, scrubbed
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined large raw shrimp with tails
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large cataplana or saucepan with lid over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
Add onion, next 4 ingredients, and red pepper, if desired; cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes and wine; bring to a boil. Add clams and shrimp.
Lock cataplana lid and cook, shaking cataplana occasionally, 7 minutes or until clams open. Or, cover saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally if necessary, 7 minutes or until clams open. (Discard any that do not.) Open carefully; sprinkle with parsley.