- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large chorizo, sliced
- 2 large Spanish onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (4-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups medium-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, crumbled
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 dozen mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 (1 1/4-pound) lobster, steamed and split in half with claws cracked or 2 (8-ounce) lobster tails, steamed and split in half
How to Make It
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 15-inch paella pan or heavy-bottomed roasting pan over medium heat; span 2 burners, if necessary. Add chorizo, and cook 6 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until onions are softened. Transfer chorizo mixture to a plate.
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same pan over medium heat; add chicken, skin-side down, and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Add rice to pan; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add broth, chorizo mixture, and saffron, stirring well. Arrange chicken, skin-side up, in pan. Bring broth to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
Bring wine to a boil in a saucepan. Add clams, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until shells just open. Remove clams with a slotted spoon; discard any that do not open. Repeat with mussels, reserving cooking liquid.
Nestle lobster, clams, and mussels into rice around chicken; drizzle reserved cooking liquid over shellfish. Bake at 375° on lowest rack in the oven 5 minutes or until lobster is heated through and all liquid is absorbed.