Sea Scallops Adobo
Photo: Con Poulos; Styling: Deborah Williams
More From Coastal Living
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 small bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 portobello mushroom, diced
- 12 medium sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Garnish: mustard or radish sprouts
- 1. Sauté onion in olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns; sauté 30 seconds. Add vinegar and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until reduced to 1 1/3 cups. Add 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper; strain sauce through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Keep warm.
- 2. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced mushroom, and sauté until browned and tender; remove from pan, and keep warm.
- 3. Sprinkle scallops with remaining 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper. Heat canola oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add scallops, and cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning once. Remove pan from heat; transfer scallops to a platter. Ladle 1/2 cup sauce into pan, scraping to loosen browned bits; return to bowl. Divide sauce among serving plates; top with scallops and sautéed mushroom. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note