So simple to pull together and such a great way to get the full taste of fresh morels. Instead of an english muffin I used a hearty loaf of wheat nut bread we had bought at the bakery. The nutty flavor complemented the woody mushroom flavor very well. Will make again -- probably next week!
Scrambled Eggs with Morel and Tarragon Cream Sauce
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 265
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 14.3g
- Carbohydrate: 31.6g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 171mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 584mg
- Calcium: 152mg
- 1/2 cup (about 1/2 ounce) dried morel mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 1. Place mushrooms in a bowl, and cover with boiling water. Cover and let stand 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well; coarsely chop.
- 2. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 1 minute. Add mushrooms; sauté 2 minutes. Add broth and juice; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Stir in 1 teaspoon chives, 1 teaspoon tarragon, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place mushroom sauce in a small bowl; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
- 3. Heat pan over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Whisk together remaining 1 teaspoon chives, 1 teaspoon tarragon, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, eggs, and egg whites. Pour egg mixture into pan. Cook for 4 minutes or until soft-scrambled, stirring frequently.
- 4. Place 2 muffin halves, cut sides up, on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with about 3 tablespoons sauce and 1/4 cup eggs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This