I LOVE this recipe! So yummy! I would have never thought to put asparagus in eggs. I have made it twice and it turned out great both times. It is perfect for a special meal or event like brunch. It looks beautiful and goes really well with some fruit.
Scrambled Eggs with Asparagus
For breakfasts marking extra-special occasions, Sunset reader Valerie Weyand makes a full-flavored favorite, scrambled eggs with asparagus and three kinds of cheese. But more often, she lightens up by replacing the eggs with egg substitute--a simple trade-off that balances health and good taste.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 146
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 4.4g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 358mg
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 cups egg substitute (or 10 large eggs, beaten to blend with 2 tablespoons water)
- About 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or regular salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or dried basil
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) neufchâtel (light cream) cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1. In a deep, 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil. Meanwhile, snap tough stem ends off asparagus and discard. Cut 2 to 3 inches off the top of each asparagus spear, then cut remaining stems diagonally into 1-inch lengths. Add asparagus to boiling water and cook until barely tender when pierced, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain. Separate tips from stem pieces.
- 2. Beat egg substitute, 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, and basil to blend. Set pan over medium heat. When hot, add butter and swirl to coat pan. Add egg mixture. Sprinkle with neufchatel cheese cubes.
- 3. As egg mixture sets, use a wide spatula to push cooked eggs aside and let uncooked liquid flow to pan bottom. While egg mixture is still semiliquid, add asparagus stem pieces, mozzarella, and parmesan. Continue to push mixture from pan bottom with spatula until softly set, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a platter or plates. Add garlic salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with asparagus tips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note