When looking for a shortbread recipe, this is the one I was looking for. Thank you.
Tired of traditional Christmas cookies like sugar cookies and gingerbread? This super simple Scottish shortbread is the perfect cookie to enjoy with family or give as as a gift.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 143
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 1.4g
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 79mg
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a food processor, whirl butter, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and flour together until smooth. Or, in a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and cornstarch until smooth; stir in flour until mixture is no longer crumbly and starts to come together in a ball.
- 2. Press dough evenly into two 9-inch round pans with removable rims. Press edges of dough with fork tines to make a ridge pattern. Then, with fork tines, pierce dough all over in parallel lines 1 inch apart.
- 3. Bake shortbread in a 300° oven until firm to touch and golden at edges, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle while hot with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, then let cool 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove pan rims from warm shortbread. Cut each round into 12 wedges. Cool completely on pan bottoms on racks.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per wedge.
Notes: Store these rich shortbread wedges airtight for up to 1 week.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note