School Garden Salad with Chickpeas and Avocado
Time 20 minutes. Eating salad is lots more fun when you get to pick your own toppings. The recipe is adapted from Berkeley Unified School District's 2008–2009 school menu calendar (lunchlessons.org).
More From Sunset
- Calories: 186
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 5.4g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 249mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/4 cup unfiltered apple juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 qts. very lightly packed torn pieces mixed lettuces and baby greens
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 4 or 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, cut in chunks
- 1. Make dressing: In a container with a lid, shake all dressing ingredients until blended.
- 2. Make salad: Put lettuces, carrot, and radishes in a large bowl. Put remaining ingredients in small bowls. Combine lettuce mixture with half the dressing.
- 3. Spoon greens onto plates and let each person add toppings and remaining dressing to taste.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note