Scallops with Miso, Ginger, and Grapefruit
PREP AND COOK TIME: About 40 minutes.
Yield: Makes 2 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 409
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated fat: 9.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 616mg
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- 1 Ruby grapefruit (1 lb.), cut in half
- 1 tablespoon each white miso paste, rice vinegar, and sake
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh thyme leaves and chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 8 ounces sea scallops (1 in. thick), rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1. Squeeze juice from half the grapefruit and reserve. With a small, sharp knife, cut peel from second half, down to flesh (discard peels), then cut between inner membranes to release half-segments into a small bowl.
- 2. In a blender, whirl grapefruit juice, miso, rice vinegar, and sake until smooth.
- 3. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and ginger and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir often until shallots are limp, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in miso mixture and stir until sauce is bubbling and slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. On a plate, mix flour, thyme, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Coat scallops in mixture.
- 5. Pour oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat and tilt pan to coat. When hot, set scallops in pan, spacing evenly. Cook, turning each scallop once with tongs, until golden brown on both sides and opaque but still moist-looking in the center (cut to test), about 4 minutes total. Transfer to a serving plate.
- 6. Pour miso mixture into frying pan and stir, scraping bottom of pan to release browned bits, until bubbling, about 1 minute. Pour sauce around scallops and top with reserved grapefruit segments and the chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes