Good but not great. I liked the subtle green tea flavor on the scallops but didn't love the cream. I subbed sour cream for the creme fraiche so perhaps that was why. Probably won't make again.
Scallops with Green Tea Cream
This dish makes a uniquely delicious first course. Look for matcha, a Japanese green tea powder with a vibrant color and deep, somewhat bitter, flavor in Asian grocery stores or gourmet markets. If you can't find it, pulverize regular green tea in a spice grinder.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 155
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 17.3g
- Carbohydrate: 2.7g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 310mg
- Calcium: 25mg
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche
- 1 1/4 teaspoons matcha (Japanese green tea powder), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Hungarian hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 18 large sea scallops (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fleur de sel or other sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil (optional)
- 1. Place crème fraîche in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Add 1/2 teaspoon matcha, lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and paprika, stirring with a whisk.
- 2. Combine remaining 3/4 teaspoon matcha and ground ginger in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl; press ginger mixture through sieve. Sprinkle the ginger mixture evenly over scallops.
- 3. Heat a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Arrange half of scallops in a single layer in pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned and desired degree of doneness. Remove scallops from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and scallops. Arrange 3 scallops and about 1 tablespoon crème fraîche mixture on each of 6 plates. Sprinkle evenly with fleur de sel and chervil, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine