- 6 medium-size firm, ripe tomatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
Arrange a layer of tomato slices in bottom of a lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Combine onion and green pepper. Spoon half of mixture over tomato slices. Combine sugar, salt, and pepper; sprinkle half of mixture over vegetables. Place a layer of breadcrumbs over mixture. Repeat layers, ending with breadcrumbs on top. Dot top of casserole with butter.
Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over top; continue baking an additional 5 minutes.