This dish is wonderful and aromatic, and not overly sweet like many sweet potato dishes. I even got raves from some who said they don't like sweet potatoes. I added about 1/2 to 3/4 C of dried cranberries and about 1/4 C Cointreau, and WOW, even better! A perfect fall dish and great accompaniment to your Thanksgiving table.
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Apples
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, cut up
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water to cover 45 minutes; drain and cool slightly. Peel sweet potatoes, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Peel, core, and thinly slice apples into rings.
- Combine brown sugar and next 3 ingredients.
- Arrange half of potato slices and half of apple slices in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half of brown sugar mixture, and dot evenly with half of butter. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Apples Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch