I've made these 3 times and each time they've been a big hit. I sub Gouda for the mozzarella cheese. A great easy go-to recipe
Scalloped Sweet Potato Stacks
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds small sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, divided*
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Layer half of sweet potatoes in a lightly greased 12-cup muffin pan. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tsp. thyme and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining sweet potatoes. (Potatoes will come slightly above the rim of each cup.)
- 2. Microwave cream, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 tsp. thyme at HIGH 1 minute. Pour cream mixture into muffin cups (about 1 Tbsp. per cup).
- 3. Bake at 375°, covered with aluminum foil, 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- 4. Let stand 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around rim of each cup, and lift potato stacks from cups using a spoon or thin spatula. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish, if desired.
- *Gruyère cheese may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables