- 4 whole garlic heads
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/3 cups minced shallots (about 15 medium)
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- calories 163
- caloriesfromfat 26 %
- fat 4.7 g
- satfat 2.3 g
- monofat 1.8 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 9.9 g
- carbohydrate 22.3 g
- fiber 3.5 g
- cholesterol 13 mg
- iron 2.5 mg
- sodium 433 mg
- calcium 224 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves). Wrap each head separately in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp (you should have about 1/4 cup). Discard skins.
Preheat oven to 375°.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 3 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat.
Place milk, garlic pulp, flour, thyme, salt, and pepper in a food processor; process until smooth.
Arrange one-third of potatoes in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread half of the shallot mixture over potatoes. Repeat procedure with remaining potato slices and shallot mixture, ending with potato slices. Pour milk mixture evenly over potatoes.
Cover with foil; bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 15 minutes or until cheese is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.