- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 medium-size baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup French breadcrumbs (homemade)
How to Make It
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat whisking constantly, until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Stir in green pepper and next 4 ingredients.
Layer half of potatoes in a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish. Spoon half of sauce over potatoes; top with half of cheese. Repeat procedure with remaining potato slices, sauce, and cheese.
Bake, covered, at 425° for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake 15 more minutes or until golden.