This was a good, easy recipe for a classic Southern dish. However, I would cut the amount of crackers next time by about a third. There were too many for the amount of oysters. I served it with tenderloin for Christmas dinner.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 8 Hours
Stand: 30 Minutes
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 1 quart fresh oysters, undrained
- 2 1/2 sleeves rectangle buttery crackers (about 66 crackers), crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Drain oysters, reserving 1/2 cup oyster liquor (liquid from oyster container).
- Place cracker crumbs in a large mixing bowl; sprinkle evenly with salt. Drizzle butter over crumbs, tossing to combine.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup reserved oyster liquor, half-and-half, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place one-third crumb mixture evenly in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish; top with half of oysters. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour half of cream mixture evenly over oysters. Repeat layers, ending with crumb mixture.
- Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Keebler Club Original crackers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note