Greens have never tasted as good as they do in this crumb-topped casserole.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 15 Minutes
- 1 (1-pound) bag chopped collard greens
- 1 (1-pound) bag chopped turnip greens
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Havarti cheese
- 3 cups sourdough breadcrumbs (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Wash greens; remove coarse stems. Bring greens and water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 45 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain well. Return greens to pot.
- Whisk together flour, next 5 ingredients, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add to greens in pot. Add cheeses; pour into a buttered 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, tossing until crumbs are coated. Sprinkle over greens.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Note: To make 3 cups sourdough breadcrumbs, we used 1/3 (10-ounce) round loaf sourdough bread, torn into pieces, and pulsed in a food processor.
- Make Ahead: Cook greens, shred cheese, assemble casserole, and store in refrigerator, without breadcrumb topping, up to a day ahead. Prepare breadcrumb topping, and add just before baking. Bake casserole according to recipe up to 2 hours before serving. Reheat briefly before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note