- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans tomato puree
How to Make It
Cover eggplant with boiling water; let stand 5 minutes. Drain; set aside.
Sauté onion and green pepper in bacon drippings in a large skillet. Add ground beef, and cook until browned; stir to crumble. Drain off all of pan drippings.
Add eggplant and remaining ingredients; spoon into a greased, shallow 2-quart baking dish. Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove cover, and bake 10 minutes or until brown.