More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 1 large cabbage (about 3 pounds), shredded
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons saltine cracker crumbs (optional)
- Cook cabbage and 1 teaspoon salt in 2 cups boiling water 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain. Place cabbage in a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; whisk in flour. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Remove from heat, and whisk in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cheese, whisking until cheese is melted. Pour cheese mixture evenly over cabbage. Sprinkle evenly with crushed crackers, if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note