- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen baby lima beans
- 1 1/2 cups sliced okra
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomato
- 1 cup fresh or frozen yellow corn kernels
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 pounds fresh bay scallops
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
Add vegetable oil to pan drippings; whisk in flour. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until roux is caramel colored (about 25 minutes). Add celery and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until tender.
Stir in broth and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally and skimming as necessary. Stir in okra and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Sauté mushrooms in butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add to broth mixture.
Add bacon, scallops, and next 3 ingredients to broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until scallops are done; discard bay leaves. Serve over hot rice. Sprinkle with pepper.