- 1 large or 2 small papayas
- 1/2 cup papaya juice
- 1/2 cup guava juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 1 pound bay or sea scallops
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil, optional
- Garnish: fresh mint
- Halve papaya; scoop out seeds, reserving 2 tablespoons. Peel and dice papaya; set aside.
- Place reserved papaya seeds, papaya juice, and next 7 ingredients in a blender. Blend for 1 minute. With blender running, slowly add olive oil; blend for 30 seconds. Scoop out vanilla bean seeds, and add to mixture; stir. Add vanilla bean.
- Place scallops in a large stainless steel or glass bowl; stir in reserved papaya, jalapeño, onion, and, if desired, truffle oil. Add blended mixture, stirring well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Remove vanilla bean before serving. Spoon into individual glasses; garnish, if desired.
- Note: If using large sea scallops, cut in half. Papaya and guava juices are available in ethnic markets or on the international aisle at many grocery stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Scallop-Papaya Seviche Recipe at a Glance