- 1 cup minced leek
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 (10 1/3-ounce) cans beef broth, undiluted
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Chablis or other dry white wine
- 5 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped green onion (optional)
How to Make It
Sauté leek in butter until tender and transparent . Add broth, tomato juice, and sugar, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil ; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Combine cornstarch, vinegar, and wine, mixing well; stir into tomato juice mixture . Cook, stirring constantly , until slightly thickened. Stir in chopped tomato, salt, and pepper. Serve hot; garnish with chopped green onion, if desired.