Savory Tomato Cobbler from Southern Living
Community Recipe from
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 3 pound(s) assorted small tomatoes divided
- 1 tablespoon(s) Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cup(s) self-rising soft-wheat flour (such as White Lily)
- 1/2 cup(s) stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 cup(s) cold butter cut into 1/4" thick pieces
- 3/4 cup(s) freshly shredded Jarlsberg cheese (6 oz)
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/4 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Saute onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add chopped tomato, garlic & 1 1/2 cups small tomatoes, and saute 10 minutes or until tomatoes are softened. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar & next 4 ingredients.
- 2. Place remaining small tomatoes in a 13x9" baking dish. Spoon onion mixture over tomatoes, and gently toss to coat. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, stir together flour & next 2 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas; cover & chill 10 minutes. Stir cheese & next 2 ingredients into cold flour mixture. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Dollop mixture by 1/2 cupfuls onto tomato mixture. Do not spread the "dough".
- 5. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Savory Tomato Cobbler from Southern Living Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables
More Recipes for Main Dishes