Oh My! So good. I made this all with grape tomatoes since regular tomatoes weren't available and divided the recipe in half. I made the biscuit dough with Bisquick, cornmeal and a cheddar cheese mix since I had that on hand. This will definitely become a regular!
Savory Tomato Cobbler
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Heather Chadduck
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 55 Minutes
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds assorted small tomatoes, divided
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising soft-wheat flour (such as White Lily)
- 1/2 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 3/4 cup (6 oz.) freshly shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add chopped tomato, garlic, and 1 1/2 cups small tomatoes, and sauté 10 minutes or until tomatoes are softened. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar and next 4 ingredients.
- 2. Place remaining small tomatoes in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon onion mixture over tomatoes, and gently toss to coat. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, stir together flour and next 2 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas; cover and chill 10 minutes. Stir cheese and next 2 ingredients into cold flour mixture. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Dollop mixture by 1/2 cupfuls onto tomato mixture. (Do not spread.)
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note