Perfect summer recipe to use up the zucchini and basil from the garden! I enhanced the recipe with some grated onion, and added some wasabi paste to the vinegar/soy sauce. Delish! Next time, I will pre-cook the potato, let it cool, then grate (per a similar recipe). This is not a 'special occasion' recipe, but one I will definitely make again for an everyday meal.
Savory Summer Pancakes
Notes: Instead of sour cream, serve the pancakes with a mixture of 1/4 cup rice vinegar and 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
Yield: Makes 12 pancakes (2 inch); 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 152
- Calories from fat: 71%
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 9.5g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 221mg
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 zucchini (about 6 oz. total), rinsed and ends trimmed
- 1 carrot (3 oz.), peeled
- 1 russet potato (8 oz.), peeled
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- About 3 tablespoons olive oil
- About 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg, salt, and pepper to blend. Using a food processor or the large holes on a hand grater, coarsely shred zucchini, carrot, and potato. Add shredded vegetables, 1/2 cup basil, and flour to egg mixture; stir just to combine.
- 2. Pour 1 tablespoon oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat; when hot, drop batter in 1/4-cup portions into pan, three or four at a time, and flatten with bottom of measuring cup or the back of a spoon into about 3 1/2-inch rounds. Cook, turning as needed, until browned and crisp on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer pancakes as cooked to an ovenproof platter and keep warm in a 200° oven. Repeat to cook remaining pancakes, adding more oil to pan as necessary.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix sour cream with remaining 2 tablespoons basil. Serve pancakes warm, topped with sour cream mixture (see notes).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers