My (picky) boyfriend already wants me to make these again! I needed to double the filling for just two (large) portobello caps. My portobellos didn't have stems so I used some shiitakes I had on hand as a substitute and for the breadcrumbs, Italian-seasoned panko. I served with a fresh fig salad (baby spinach, toasted walnuts, manchego and balsamic reduction) and prosciutto-wrapped breadsticks.
Savory Stuffed Mushrooms
If you can't find whole portobello mushrooms, use about 24 cremini or large button mushrooms instead.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 mushroom)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 127
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Carbohydrate: 12.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 222mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 6 (4-inch) whole portobello mushrooms
- Cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Remove stems from caps; finely chop mushroom stems to measure 1/2 cup. Set mushroom caps aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chopped mushroom stems and garlic; sauté 3 minutes, stirring often. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; cool 3 minutes. Add cheeses, onions, and peppers; stir until smooth. Spread cheese mixture evenly into mushroom caps.
- Combine egg substitute and flour in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Working with one mushroom cap at a time, dip, cheese side up, into egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumbs, coating only the mushroom cap. Place mushroom cap, cheese side up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining mushroom caps, egg mixture, and breadcrumbs. Lightly coat stuffed mushrooms with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 25 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note