Savory Squash and Leek Casserole
Some like golden winter squash sweetly seasoned like candied yams. But not Sunset reader Beverly Allen's husband. To suit his taste, she flavors this casserole with shallots and leeks from her garden.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 175
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 5.2g
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 181mg
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- 1 1/2 pounds banana or hubbard squash, peeled and seeded
- 3 leeks (1 1/4 lb. total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 4 to 6 cups water to a boil.
- 2. Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. Add to boiling water, cover, and simmer until tender when pierced, 12 to 14 minutes. Drain and mash squash with a potato masher or a mixer.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut off and discard tough green tops, root ends, and coarse outer layer of leeks. Split leeks in half lengthwise and rinse well. Thinly slice.
- 4. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, combine oil, leeks, and shallots. Stir often, until vegetables are limp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 5. Add mashed squash, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and egg; mix well. Spread in a shallow 1-quart casserole.
- 6. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven until lightly browned on top, about 45 minutes (35 minutes in a convection oven). Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note