Savory Squash and Leek Casserole
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 175
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 5.2g
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 181mg
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- 1 1/2 pounds banana or hubbard squash, peeled and seeded
- 3 leeks (1 1/4 lb. total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 4 to 6 cups water to a boil.
- 2. Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. Add to boiling water, cover, and simmer until tender when pierced, 12 to 14 minutes. Drain and mash squash with a potato masher or a mixer.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut off and discard tough green tops, root ends, and coarse outer layer of leeks. Split leeks in half lengthwise and rinse well. Thinly slice.
- 4. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, combine oil, leeks, and shallots. Stir often, until vegetables are limp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 5. Add mashed squash, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and egg; mix well. Spread in a shallow 1-quart casserole.
- 6. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven until lightly browned on top, about 45 minutes (35 minutes in a convection oven). Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This