This is the second time I have made this and it was just as good this time. I served it with steak and roasted sweet, yellow and red potatoes. My guests were blown away with these custards. This time I made them an hour before I put them in to bake and they were fine. I will try putting them all together even earlier next time to see if that works just as well.. I used one giantic sweet onion...1c half n half and 1/2 milk and fresh spinach. YUMMY... I do think this would work as the centerpiece of a meatless meal...
Savory Spinach-Gorgonzola Custards
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Cindy Manning Barr
Grand Prize Winner
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 5 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 2/3 cup)*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Drain spinach well, pressing between paper towels to remove excess moisture; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add oil and onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 more minutes or until onion is caramel colored. Reserve 1/4 cup onion; spoon remaining onion mixture evenly into 6 lightly greased 6-ounce custard cups; sprinkle with cheese.
- Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients until blended. Stir in spinach. Spoon evenly over cheese, and place custard cups in a 13- x 9-inch pan. Add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until almost set. Remove cups from pan. Let stand 10 minutes; unmold and top with reserved onion. Garnish, if desired.
- *1 (4-ounce) package crumbled blue cheese may be substituted for 5 ounces Gorgonzola.
- Note: Savory Spinach-Gorgonzola may be baked in a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables